Sunday, June 28, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson

Daniel has been subjected to a two day extravaganza of Michael Mania. I've added a Michael Jackson Station to our Pandora list and have been watching all of the tributes on TV. I'll admit he got pretty weird and pervie towards the end of his life, but I really wish they would keep the broadcasts to tributes until the toxicology results come out. We all know he had problems and that drugs probably played a part in his death (it was said he owed a pharmacy over $100,000 for various prescription painkillers), but he should be remembered for his incredible talent. As a dancer he was untouchable and while his style was a forerunner for most modern pop stars, they can only attempt to emulate him.

I love pretty much all of his music but here are my TOP 10 Michael Songs. Except for number one they are in no particular order...

1. Smooth Criminal--The full length 10 minute video has most amazing dance sequences ever! I remember I had this dance teacher as a kid who told us that he does the 50 degree lean with no tricks and she was right. Watch it here at around 8:05.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVh7FL7-SQw
It won't let me embedd the full length video for some reason but check it out.

2. Dirty Diana --I secretly love rock ballads
3. The Way You Make me Feel
4. Black or White
5. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough----I like disco. It was after all, the precursor for house music!
6. Rock With You----There is a really good house remix of this song. "You gotta feel that beat, and we can ride the boogie!!"
7. Bad----I just like how he says "sha-mon"
8. Wanna Be Starting Somethin'
9. Scream---Collaboration with Janet who is like, totally fierce this video, man. Hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNl2Pm9-7Vk
10. Man in the Mirror. Here is the MTV video. (This was when MTV actually played music.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSW4TU8JRSQ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

go lookup the video of him performing his son "ben" as a child. cheesy, but almost made me tear up... dude's voice was ridic... also checkout the performance of billie jean from the motown 25th anniversary show... first time he unveiled the moonwalk... nuts! good call on dirty diana btw - did you know slash played the guitars on that?