Thursday, August 7, 2008

Remember to check YOU'RE grammer?

I agree that Linguists who write lists such as the following can certainly seem stuffy. However, my personal study of linguistics has led me to become aware of how we judge people based on the way they speak and try to view linguists' writing as personal guides.
I usually try to only to judge people based on their written communication, which is usually quite different from the way they speak. One must also consider the contexts: for example, facebook vs. academic paper. But, to be on the safe side, read this short article and don't send your boss an email that says: Thanks for the day off. YOUR the best boss in the world!

Article

Oh, by the way when I was growing up I was always taught that to express the possessive with a word that already ends in s, just add an apostrophe, don't add an extra s. (See the word linguists above.) I was recently told by a linguistics professor that the rule had been changed and that in writing, it is now correct to add an extra s. To me this looks funny because you wouldn't say linguists's. So, until I am able to fully digest this world shattering news I am sticking to my old ways and will not add an extra s to these possessives.

No comments: