My elementary school, Fairhill elementary, kept a pair of pet hermit crabs in the library. We were given instructions on how to hold them and were allowed to pick them up on visits. One day a delicate, fair-skinned boy had his finger penetrated by one of the creature's strong pincers. He reacted by forcefully propelling the animal across the room. I'm not sure if the crab lived.
Aside from childhood interest, I cannot think of why a lady, set to retire, would choose hermit crabs as her household companions. I suppose it's slightly touching that these ugly crustaceans, sold with conch shells and dead blow fish in trashy beach- side stores to inevitably die in some child's room, have become precious pets to this particular person. The critter appealed to some part of her humanity and for this, I like her.
She had bible study in one of my mom's groups but has since moved to Florida (as you will see in the article.) I never met her but my mom, knowing my love of all things wild, sent me updates. It seems she and her molting friends have become small-time celebrities:
Hermit Crabs
No comments:
Post a Comment