I can be a little bit of a grammar nerd sometimes. I don't, by any means, write with perfect grammar but I'll certainly make the effort if I'm writing a letter to a professor, employer or in school papers. Nothing bothers me more than when I get letters from so-called professionals with master's degrees saying, please send me the knew memo. Come on you idiot, spell check isn't going catch everything. If you don't know, look it up. Here are two I've been pondering:
1) Indulging vs. Endulging.
Endulging is just a British spelling of the word.
2)Ensure VS. Insure
Ensure
Ensure means "to make sure or certain" and must be followed by a direct object. Ensure indicates the action of guaranteeing, as opposed to the spoken guarantee indicated by assure.
His loyalty will ensure your safety.
Insure
Insure refers to the provision of insurance: coverage against a specified loss.
My new car is not yet insured.
This is a pretty good site to look up these kinds of questions:
http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment